What is Reishi Mushroom good for?
Reishi ganoderma lucidum offers several potential benefits according to clinical studies. The “mushroom of immortality” is a fitting name for reishi considering that it contains over 400 unique bioactive compounds shown to enhance health-span.
These properties have been reported to promote better sleep, immunity, and allergy relief. It has also been used to boost immune function in cancer patients, control blood sugar levels, prevent damage to the cells, reduce fatigue, and combat depression.
Choosing the Best Reishi Mushroom Supplement
Understanding how to choose the ideal reishi mushroom product is imperative to reaping its benefits. To summarize, you want to make sure that the label confirms the following:
- Beta-glucan concentration: Polysaccharides are the most important bioactive compounds found in mushrooms according to clinical studies. NutroMushroom has an industry-leading amount of polysaccharides with 30% or more beta-glucans in our reishi mushroom extracts.
- Dosage: Most companies use the roots of mushrooms fused with grain filler, which means there are far less mushrooms than what is listed on the label. Our reishi mushroom extracts are made using fruiting bodies to ensure significant doses aligned with science.
- Ganoderma lucidum (GL): The species of reishi shown to offer benefits in clinical settings. There are over 90 reported species in the reishi genus, so make sure you’re getting the right one (GL).
Reishi Side Effects
There have been a few rare instances of reishi causing adverse effects after consistent use:
- If someone is allergic, it can cause dryness to the mouth, throat and nasal passages. It can also contribute to diziness or a rash.
- Reishi has also been shown to lower blood pressure, which can potentially interfere with other medications and cause blood pressure to drop too much.
- It is recommended that women who are pregnant or breastfeeding do not take reishi due to insufficient research on the topic. Reishi may increase bleeding for those taking anticoagulant or antiplatelet drugs.
NutroMushroom reishi dietary supplements are cGMP. This means that they are GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) and everything on the label is verified. This is a big deal because an analysis found that 74% of reishi products in America did not have any of the healthy compounds listed on their labels. It’s also important because the FDA does not require supplement companies to prove that they're safe or effective. cGMP is an absolute MUST when choosing a reishi extract or blend.
Always consult with your healthcare physician before taking any new supplements.